Sunday, July 8, 2012

Winning Battles

My sis-in-law is Gloria's Relief Society President. Amber loves Gloria with all her heart. Last year, she took me with her to visit Gloria. She was nauseated and bald-- a bitter consequence from the chemo, but a small price to pay, she thought, if it bought her more time with her family. She spoke with a strong voice, weeping constantly throughout our visit.

Here we are a year later, and the cancer has spread. Amber says it's not a question of "if" Gloria dies from the cancer, but "when." And Amber's heart aches as she thinks about the loss to come.

I'm so grateful for Amber's compassion and love for Gloria. In addition to the consistent, regular visits, I've watched Amber organize weekly house cleanings for Gloria and her husband (many of which other sisters didn't show up, leaving Amber, pregnant with her fourth, on the errand.)

The service cycle between these two valiant sisters teaches me. I want to have the courage to fight life's battles, unwavering, with her face toward the Son-- like Gloria. I want to serve and succor selflessly like Amber, even when others are too busy.

"When you have done it unto the least of these, my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

1 comment:

Howling Pickup said...

So sweet Annalee. Thank you for your kind observations and for giving me the boost I need to continue to love and serve the women of my ward.