Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Something to think about...

"The sacrament prayers have to be given word-perfect. Everyone knows that. But when the priest flubs it, what happens? Even though the expectation of perfection cannot be lowered, the person giving the prayer gets a second chance, and a third, and a fourth, if he needs them. No matter how many mistakes he makes along the way, when he finally does get it right, that outcome is counted as perfect and acceptable.

"God, like the bishop, cannot lower the standard that we ultimately become perfect, but He can give us many opportunities to start again... Perfection is our long-term goal, but for now, our goal is progress in that direction--continuous progress that is possible only through the continuous Atonement."

This is an excerpt from our book club book of the month, "The Continuous Atonement", by Brad Wilcox. Beautiful excerpt, don't you think?

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I am having a giveaway on my blog {hillamcasa.blogspot.com}. please come enter!!

Melissa said...

Hi Lee! Sorry I've been kind of MIA, but I *loved* this quote. Adding it to my favs~thanks for sharing!

Howling Pickup said...

Sounds like a great book. I am going to have to add it to my list! I love your Easter pics. Your kids are so cute. It makes me miss them.

The Brown Family said...

How do I not have your email?? I can't find it anyway to reply to your request!

Of course you may use the quote. You should read the book...it could be a book group suggestion.

Love
Kim